At Harbor Audiology, our Gig Harbor and Tacoma, Washington-based audiologists can perform a balance test. This test is performed to assess and diagnose vestibular (balance) disorders. Tests are performed to help determine the cause of your dizziness or loss of balance.
Videonystamography/ElectroNystamography (VNG/ENG) – This test tracks different light patterns with your eyes as well as the movement of the head and the body. It’s a good idea to inform your audiologist if you have neck or back problems that limit your range of motion. The test will also include a caloric examination, in which the audiologist runs warm and cool air into the ear canal as you have a conversation. During this time, the audiologist will record your eye movements.
- Bring a document listing all current medications and crucial medical records to your appointment. Certain medications cannot be taken 48 hours prior to the evaluation.
- Let your audiologist know if you have a pacemaker.
- Do not wear eye makeup. If you are wearing eye makeup, the audiologist will ask you to remove it before the exam.
- Do not eat or drink three to four hours before your appointment.
- Do not consume alcohol the night before your appointment.
- Bring someone with you who will be able to drive you home following your exam.
Harbor Audiology is your hearing health care expert, serving the areas of Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, Tacoma, Lakewood, Silverdale and Puyallup. If you struggle with dizziness or loss of balance, contact the expert Audiologists at Harbor Audiology, conveniently located in Gig Harbor and Tacoma, Washington today.