For personalized service with a compassionate touch, visit the Audiologists of Harbor Audiology in Gig Harbor and Tacoma, Washington. Our small size allows us to devote the necessary time and attention to your hearing loss needs.
Hearing loss is a growing problem in the United States. Don’t assume you aren’t at risk to develop hearing loss. Here are some facts you may not know about this debilitating condition:
- About 12% of the U.S. population (about 38 million Americans) suffer from significant hearing loss.
- Over 90% of deaf children have parents that can hear.
- In adults over age 65, about 30-40% of the population suffers from hearing loss.
- 14% of adults age 45-64 experience hearing loss in some way.
- In children ages 6-19, 15% of the population has measurable hearing loss in at least one ear.
- 5 out of every 1,000 newborns will have hearing loss.
- Exposure to noisy situations, such as traffic, even for 15 minutes a day, over time, can cause permanent damage to hearing.
- Even mild hearing loss can cause a child to miss as much as 50% of a discussion in the classroom.
- Listening to MP3 players at high volume is damaging to your hearing. The damage accumulates over time.
- When deafness is identified early with appropriate services, studies show deaf children can develop communication skills at the same rate as their hearing peers.
- About 50 million people in the United States are affected by Tinnitus (ringing in the ears).
- People who suffer from hearing loss wait an average of 7 years before they choose to seek help.
- Regular screenings for hearing loss are uncommon, with 16% of physicians reporting that this is part of their repertoire.
- Hearing aids can dramatically improve most types of hearing loss.
Harbor Audiology is your hearing healthcare expert, serving the areas of Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, Tacoma, Lakewood, and Puyallup, Washington.
Hearing loss can affect your quality of life and can take away from special time with loved ones. To learn more about getting help for your hearing loss, or to share information with someone you care about, please contact us at our Gig Harbor, Tacoma and Silverdale, Washington locations.