At Harbor Audiology & Hearing Services, our Gig Harbor audiologists can perform a balance test. This test is performed to assess and diagnose vestibular (balance) disorders. Tests are performed to help determine the cause of your dizziness or loss of balance.
Videonystamography/ElectroNystamography (VNG/ENG) – This test tracks different light patterns with your eyes as well as the movement of the head and the body. It’s a good idea to inform your audiologist if you have neck or back problems that limit your range of motion. The test will also include a caloric examination, in which the audiologist runs warm and cool air into the ear canal as you have a conversation. During this time, the audiologist will record your eye movements.
These tests take about two hours to complete and will be explained to you in detail prior to the beginning of the evaluation. Here are some guidelines that are important for patients to follow before the tests:
- Bring a document listing all current medications and crucial medical records to your appointment. Certain medications cannot be taken 48 hours prior to the evaluation.
- Let your audiologist know if you have a pacemaker.
- Do not wear eye makeup. If you are wearing eye makeup, the audiologist will ask you to remove it before the exam.
- Do not eat or drink three to four hours before your appointment.
- Do not consume alcohol the night before your appointment.
- Bring someone with you who will be able to drive you home following your exam.
Harbor Audiology is your hearing and audiology services expert, serving the areas of Gig Harbor, Port Angeles, Sequim, Silverdale, Bainbridge Island and Tacoma. If you struggle with dizziness or loss of balance, contact the expert audiologists at Harbor Audiology today.