If you’re an avid hunter or sports enthusiast, you probably put a lot of forethought into the type of gear that you use when you’re out enjoying the great outdoors. Whether you hunt using a firearm, ride around on loud machinery like snowmobiles or four-wheelers or engage in noisy water sports, there’s no shortage of ways in which exciting and interesting hobbies could potentially cause long-term damage to the health of your hearing. If you rely on hearing aids in Pierce County, WA, it’s especially important that you consider your audiological health whenever you’re pursuing your favorite hobbies.
There are a number of different types of earplugs available for sports enthusiasts to consider. While not all hearing protection is created equal, it’s good to remember that it’s always important to wear hearing protection under any circumstances. Even if your protection of choice isn’t around, you should still select a suitable and safe hearing guard.
Here’s a look at some of the most common and useful types of hearing protection available for hunters and other sports enthusiasts:
- Foam plugs: Foam ear plugs are the most basic and common type of hearing protection. They effectively deaden all sounds, making it difficult to hear peripheral sounds or ongoing discussions around you.
- Impulse plugs: Used primarily in military applications, impulse plugs allow many sounds to pass through to the ear canal but block heavy, potentially damaging sounds, like gunfire. Some impulse plugs are reversible—one side, for instance, may block out impulse sounds, while the other blocks out the drone of heavy machinery.
- Muffs: Another basic form of ear protection, ear muffs offer more comprehensive hearing protection than foam plugs but with many of the same drawbacks. They often make it difficult to hear peripheral sounds. They do, however, protect the small bone behind the ear drum more effectively than foam plugs.
- Electronic muffs: Electronic muffs are specially programmed and designed to block out potentially damaging sounds, like blasts and drones, but allow voices, music and other desirable noises to pass through to the ear drum. Electronic muffs are one of the most advanced and desirable types of hearing protection.
- Electronic plugs: Similar to electronic muffs, electronic plugs block out damaging sounds and amplify everything else. Electronic plugs offer a lower degree of protection when compared to electronic muffs; however, they are more easily portable and are often a more affordable hearing protection solution.
Harbor Audiology & Hearing Services Inc. is a full-service hearing specialty clinic offering hearing aids in Pierce County, WA. We’re proud to provide quality hearing solutions to each and every one of our clients. Our talented audiologists and technicians are committed to providing each of our patients with healthcare solutions that meet their needs. You can count on us to help you identify hearing aids and other tools that are part of a comprehensive, holistic healthcare strategy. To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment, reach out to us today. We look forward to assisting you soon!